Marcel Schwald was born in Basel in 1976. For the past 10 years he developed an artisitc style which tries to come close to people and provoke a reaction. His work is often based on improvisation of the actors. Recurrent topics are social hierarchies and the possibility of self-empowerment. His newest worked is dealing with the eurocentric perspective on political and aesthetical relations and is aiming to find new perspectives on current outcomes of globalisation. As basis for these questions he uses literal classics like "The Making of Americans" by Gertrude Stein or phenomenons like the financial crisis - as seen in his latest piece "MONEY PIECE I (COMEDY)". His productions are shown at municipial theatres or venues of the free theatre scene (e.g. Kaserne Basel, Dampfzentrale Bern, Schauspielhaus Zürich, Het Veem Theater Amsterdam, Beijing Fringe Festival). In 2017 he was nominated as young director of the year by the magazine "Theater heute" for his work as director of "The Making of Americans".
- 2014 - Swiss ministry of culture, Swiss dance award «Kulturerbe Tanz»
- 2013 - PRAIRIE, program of co-production by Migros-Kulturprozent with innovative Swiss theatre collectives
- 2012/13 - Stücklabor Basel, writer-in-residency Konzert Theater Bern
- 2010 - Kunstkredit Basel, free art project
- 2008 - Pro Helvetia grant, international forum of Theatertreffen Berlin
- 2006 - Mobile Academy Warsaw
- development of plays by the method of improvisation together with actors and/or performers (eg. LPTBH, ET or T)
- productions based strictly on communication, e.g. talks or other formats of collective aesthetic experience (e.g. HC, ML or ASCC)
- productions which concentrate on one person and their wealth of experience (K and TMOA)
During all my work I try to find, incorporate and work with relevant questions and problems of our society with the aim to understand more and more of them. Therefore I'm happy for any further observations and references. Please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(My email address is to be found at the top of the page.)